Let us use our Long Log Advantage to create your Custom Milled Log Home or Log Cabin! Using technology pioneered by Dick Neville, formerly of Neville Log Homes, we mill logs up to 60 feet in length and up to 24 inches in diameter. Our manufacturing process adds a full Swedish cope to boost structural integrity and eliminates unsightly butt joints with full length logs thus saving our homeowners money and shrinkage issues. Our full length Milled Log Homes and Log Cabins bring the Long Log Advantage to every homeowner and creates a beautiful place to come home to! Call us at (406) 642-3091 to get started on making your dream a reality.
Timbers add sophistication and beauty to any structure. Timber Frame construction, whether Old-World style or the newly popular steel joinery, adds a natural element and character that differs from log construction. Our craftsmen found here in the Bitterroot Valley are masters of the Old-World style mortise and tenon joinery. Whether using hand hewn beams and posts, reclaimed timbers or creating decorative and structural trusses, their traditional craftsmanship will make your home a work of art. Contact us to see what our Timber Frame Division can bring to your project.
Custom Log Homes, our Award Winning Hand Craft Division, is staffed by the finest artisans that the Bitterroot Valley has to offer, and their love for old school log joinery is evident in every one of their projects. Whether you’re in the market for a fishing cabin on the Madison River, or a stately mountain retreat on the slopes in Jackson Hole, we can build something for everyone. Send us your plans or ideas, and have your dream home designed and built to your specifications. Click the title above for access to Custom Log Homes’ own website, or contact us here in Victor, Montana for more information.
The Planning Process
The Planning and Designing Process for your new project can be an exciting time for all involved, but it can also be time consuming and tedious if you are not prepared and educated in the fact that this is the most important part of any Log Home project. For many of our clients, this may be the first time they have ever designed and built their own home, and it our goal to make the planning process as fun and stress free as possible for you. Good planning will keep your project moving forward, keep it on schedule, and keep it on budget.
Designing your Dream Log Home can be as simple as selecting one of our Standard Home Plans and building it as drawn, or modifying the plan to incorporate any changes you may want to make. This is typical of many of our past clients, and our standard drawings are good starting point for ideas and design. For others, you may have an idea of what you want, but do not see a design in our Standards that meets your criteria. In these cases, we can take all of your ideas, pictures, or sketches, and custom design a home that takes into consideration all your wants and needs, the building site, and your budget. Our team of designers and start with a blank page, and custom design a one of a kind project for those who want a truly unique home, or can assist you in modifying any plan that you have selected into the home you have dreamed about.
If you should have a set of plans already drawn to your specifications and are looking for a company to produce your log package, feel free to contact us for a quote on your project!
The Preliminary Plan Process
Once you have selected your plan from our Standard Plans, or have decided to design a custom home, we are now ready to take into consideration all of your changes or design ideas and create a set of Preliminary Drawings, which are basic drawings showing any changes you may have wanted to make to one of our standard plans, or the layout of the Custom Home using the information we have obtained from you. After we get an idea of exactly what you would like to see in your home design, we are ready to move on to the Preliminary Drawing phase of your project.
Here are the four steps in the Preliminary Drawing stage:
- Plan Deposit: When you are ready to begin the drawing phase in the design process, we will require a plan deposit to begin the process of designing your home. We use the deposit to secure the services of our designers, and begin the drawing process. Your deposit will be credited towards your log package if and when you decide to purchase a home with us.
- Basic Floor Plans and Elevations: Once your plan deposit is received, our experienced draftsmen and designers will begin the drawing process of your project, taking into consideration of all the changes or features you would like to see incorporated into the home design. The Preliminary Drawings will consist of the basic floorplan, or layout of the inside of the home and foundation, and a set of elevations, or the look of the exterior of the home. We will use these drawings as the basis of the design as we move to the next step of the process.
- Redlines: On completion of the Preliminary Drawings, you will receive a set of the drawings for your inspection. The Redlining, or editing of the Preliminary Drawings, is a very important step in getting your project a step closer to your Final Construction Plan Set. At this time we ask you to look closely at your recently completed Preliminary Drawings, and see if all the changes have been made to your satisfaction, or add any other changes to the plan that you may have at this time. This is the time to get your plans the way you have dreamed them to be, and it is common to pass the plans back and forth to the designer several times to get it perfect. Getting your plans right before Finals can save you time and money down the line.
- Signing Off: You are confident that all changes to the Preliminary Plans have been made, and you are ready to get your plans into Final Drawings. Again, we will go over your drawings and make sure all your changes and additions have been covered by our designers, and that your project plans are exactly the way that you have envisioned it to be. At this point we will ask for you to sign off on the homes design, and once we have your approval, we are ready to move on to the Final Full Construction Drawing Plan Set.
After receiving your approval of the Redlining of the Preliminary Drawings and have signed off on all the changes that the design team has made, we are now ready to move to last phase in the design process, Final Full Construction Plan Set. We will now take your redlined drawings and produce your final plans for you and your contractor. The Final Full Construction Plan Set will include everything that you will need to get your project into construction. We will supply you with three copies of the construction set, with more copies available on request.
Your Final Full Construction plan set will include…
- Foundation Plans
- Floor Plans
- Wall Elevations
- First Floor Framing Plans
- Second Floor Framing Plan
- Roof Framing Plans
- Elevations of each side of home
- Detailed Section Plans and Connection Details
- Basic Electrical Plan ( to local code)
Programmed Log Package
In addition to your full construction plans, once you sign a contract to have us produce your Log package, you will receive a second set of plans that will identify every single log that is part of your project. Each log that comes out of our mill for your home will be tagged with an identifying number/letter that corresponds to a location on the plans called Stack Sheets, giving you the exact location of each log in the log structure that makes up your home. This will make it easy to see where any log will be positioned in your new log home.
Building codes vary from state to state, sometimes county to county within a state, and some projects will require structural engineering for building approval. While we do not offer engineering in house, we work with several different engineering firms to provide our customers with their services if need. We can provide you with a fee schedule for your project at your request.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS ARE SAYING
We visited 20-30 log home manufacturers and decided upon Bitterroot Valley Log & Timber because of their Long-Logs and expert craftsmanship. . . after completion we are more satisfied than we'd hoped due to their exceptional ‘service after the sale’ and expertise....
I contacted and eventually got proposals from eight different log home manufacturers and builders . . . the assistance you and your staff gave in helping us develop the design concept. . . as well as architectural and practical ideas, was so mush more than anyone else seemed able to do....
We purchased our logs from Bitterroot Valley Log & Timber in 2009. Steve Miller was great to work with. We were pleased with not only the logs he provided, but he had great ideas and wonderful service after the sale. He did everything that he said he would and in a timely manner. There were a couple of logs that...
You delivered on time as you promised . . . in fact, you called to see if delivery could be earlier . . . The costs were exactly as you had quoted, no surprise . . . Everything you promised us happened as you said it would....